Introductions  

Posted by inkstainedhands in ,

I was not sure whether I should start a blog again, but since I am sitting here typing this post, it's pretty obvious that I decided to start the blog.

I started my first blog back in 2005 and posted in it faithfully for a few years, until I grew bored of it and decided that I would prefer keeping my thoughts to myself. Although, either way, I don't think many people read that blog, so it didn't really matter.

So after a year of silence, here I am, back in the world of blogging. For now, I don't want to identify myself here. Those who know me, please keep the information to yourself.

Here is a short introduction for those who don't know me:

I'm a 17-year-old girl from New York who mostly identifies herself as a Jew and a writer. I like to think a lot about the world around me and the people in it, which ends up having an influence on my writing. I use my writing both as a means of expression and as an escape. My goal in starting this blog is to write about my observations, some feelings, and the more interesting parts of daily life.

And in case anyone was wondering about the title of my blog -- Ink Stained Hands -- it is just something that fascinates me. Although pens are very convenient, I like using quills and bottled ink, which tends to find its way onto my hands and has even inspired a short story. When I think of writing, I imagine sitting under a shady tree during the day, holding a notebook and a quill, my hands covered in ink. So that explains the title.

Pesach vacation has already started for me, so I hope to have more time to write now.

At the moment, though, I have to run.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at Wednesday, April 01, 2009 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

18 comments

Welcome back! Looking forward to read future posts!

April 2, 2009 at 12:37 AM

Those who know me, please keep the information to yourself.
Then it's probably a good idea not to add your dad's blog to your profile's blogroll. ;-)

April 2, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Thanks, BTS!

And hello to you too, Moshe. How did YOU find me?

(My dad's blog is no longer on my profile.)

April 2, 2009 at 3:05 PM

BTS tweetered your blog.

April 2, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Ah, I see.

April 2, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Whoah, you're writing (and thought processes for that matter) is pretty damn good for a 17 year old..

April 17, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Still wish that your blog remains anonymous?

April 17, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Thanks!

Moshe - Why do you ask? Have you found something else that identifies me?

April 17, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Was about the "pretty damn good for a 17 year old". If I was in your place, I'd be pretty tempted to put up a link.

April 17, 2009 at 5:16 PM

I am tempted to put up a few links, announce where my writing will appear next, and post a full resume.. but I think I'll maintain my anonymity for now.

April 17, 2009 at 5:25 PM

I never found out what kind of links, ..did you, like, write a sefer or something?

...either way, I wanted to comment on your scren name...again! ..I always find it funny to think that long before computers there were computers in essence; a desk! You get emails and write back (letters), you can write in your blog (journal) and you can read other peoples blogs (books). You can read the news (in newspapers) and even wikipedia (Encyclopedia). As long as you've got a table and some books, you've got the equivalent of a computer, even in the eighteenth century.

May 13, 2009 at 3:15 AM

And even in the 18th century people were stupid enough to require tech support.

May 13, 2009 at 7:01 AM

Ha. That was pretty funny man. But that's obviously more about the transition fro scrolls to books (something I've also given some thought to; books are a huge invention compared to scrolls. So good in fact, that we're still using 'em! People would actually rather read a book than a screen (so much for that "kindle" thing)).

What they forgot to mention though is the fast forward and rewind aspect; you can skip to anywhere in the book instantaniously! ..though by a scroll it held your place for you...which can be both good and bad. But paper is just much thinner; you can fit the contents of all the scrolls of the Hebrew Bible AND all the scrolls of the New Testamet into one small book. That's pretty impressive...for the 600's!

May 13, 2009 at 3:06 PM

I wrote a fictional book, actually. I also put up some links to my other pieces of writing in this post:
http://myinkstainedhands.blogspot.com/2009/04/cats-out-of-bag.html

I don't think I would feel comfortable using a Kindle or reading books on any sort of screen. There's something comforting about actually holding a book in your hands, just like using quills and ink. :]

May 13, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Actually if you ever seen kindle or similar thing by sony in real life it's cool. It's made as close as possible to the feel of book.
Usually main reasons why it's harder to read from the screen are (no order): bad line width, bad angle of screen, too contrast background compared to contrast of letters (meaning it has background light instead of reflecting surrounding light; i think that's what brightness to contrast ratio means - in regular screen it's a standard for all kinds of activities which is not always the best) and many things that distract eyes from concentrating on the object of reading (where visual memory is coming from).
These devices have these issues a lot eliminated. Like for example it has a standard book style length of the line; mate white background (so it reflects more and has less contrast that kicks into your eyes); very good, easy to read fonts; good line and letter spacing; nothing distracting around. You control screen angle same as if you had a book in your hand. And also it has a feel of a thin book.

I am not saying it's perfect, but if you didn't use kindle - don't even try to compare it to your experience of reading of the screen.

May 14, 2009 at 1:00 AM

Check out the new toy Fujitsu came out with. Book reader, now with color. And looks very nice.

May 14, 2009 at 4:44 PM

BTS -- NO screen can EVER compare with the feeling of reading a real book made out of paper. It does not matter what kind of features the device offers.

Technology cannot always replace the good old stuff.

May 17, 2009 at 5:46 PM

It's kind of a real music collector will never listen to CDs (i'm not even talking about mp3...)

May 17, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Post a Comment