My Pets  

Posted by inkstainedhands in ,

I have been wanting to introduce my pets to my blog readers for a while, so here it is, finally!


Click on the pictures to enlarge them! :]
My oldest pets are my two red-eared sliders, Tyapa and Chapa. Tyapa, the male, is nearly eight years old, and I think Chapa, the female, is around the same age (although I'm not sure, because she was given to me by a friend, and I don't know how old the turtle was at the time). Tyapa is the one on the left, and Chapa is on the right. For some reason, turtles fascinate me. My bookshelves are decorated with little toy turtles, and I have some pictures of sea turtles on my wall.

You already know who Coco is since I made a post about him on his fourth birthday and later complained about his behavior, but it never hurts to post more pictures -- especially since I think he is one of the most adorable creatures ever. Honestly, I can fill up five posts with pictures of him. I don't want to slow down the page though, so I will limit it. This chubby pug is very enthusiastic and playful -- sometimes a bit too playful in my parents' opinion. Some people mistake him for a small bulldog because of his size. It is ironic that pugs are considered a toy breed, right up there with chihuahuas, pomeranians, and Yorkshire terriers.

I also had a mouse earlier this year named Puffik. Puffik was a wild mouse that had somehow found a way into our home. (Needless to say, my parents did not appreciate its presence.) We caught it using humane traps (for those of you who have unwelcome mice in your house, please consider these traps, which are effective and cruelty-free). It was winter, and we did not want to let it freeze to death outside or starve because it had not stored anything for the winter as most mice do during the fall, so I kept it as a pet. What a cute creature! He would lick his paws and then wash his face and ears, then wash the rest of his body, ending with his long tail. I loved watching him do this routine, which he repeated a few times a day.


Coming up in August -- rats!

This entry was posted on Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at Wednesday, May 06, 2009 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

So I still didn't get what happened to Puffik at the end.
Anyway watch this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIkuyz4K_Ho

May 7, 2009 at 12:16 AM

And this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SODYhjdkQt0

May 7, 2009 at 12:22 AM

Dude, the "a" tag exists for a reason.

Are turtles hard to care for? We thought of getting one. I read about their care and feeding and it sounded like something way too complicated for my taste.

May 10, 2009 at 10:10 PM

They're not terribly hard to take care of, but at the same time, they are not the easiest pets to keep.

While they don't require as much attention as mammals do, turtles need to have their water changed regularly and their filters cleaned out. (Lots of dirty work.) Also, a lot of them don't survive past their first year because of diseases, so turtles probably aren't the safest choice when you have little kids who might touch them and forget to wash their hands.

May 10, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Post a Comment