ISH's Misadventures  

Posted by inkstainedhands in

I woke up today at the very early hour of 5:30 AM after having gone to sleep past 2 AM. My alarm clock was set for 10:45 AM, but there I was, fully awake, more than five hours earlier, in a great deal of pain. My back was hurting unbearably and the slightest wrong movement caused even more pain. The sun was rising, the birds were chirping (and cawing), my back was hurting, and there was no way I would fall back asleep. So after suffering for nearly half an hour, I thought I might as well get up and start my day.

The entire house was completely silent, and only sounds I heard came from the birds outside my window. Everything was so peaceful and serene; I felt as if I were living in another century. I realized what a perfectly opportunity it was to write, so I headed upstairs to the attic, where I have a little spot with a desk, a wooden box, some antique-looking notebooks, quills, and bottled ink. There is a small window there facing the east, so the lighting was perfect at that hour, and I did not need any artificial lighting.

I flipped to an empty page in one of the notebooks, opened my ink bottle, dipped in the quill, and started to write. I love the sound and the feel of a quill scratching against paper, leaving black lettering. Soon enough, my hands were indeed stained with ink. There is something about having ink on my hands that makes me feel more connected to the writing; it is as if I am a part of it.

Once I was done, I closed my notebooks and put the cap back on the ink and returned to my room. It was nearly 6:30 AM, and I was quite tired, so I actually managed to fall back asleep. When I woke up later that morning and looked in a mirror, I realized I must have rubbed my face either in my sleep or while I was writing, because I no longer just had ink stained hands -- I had an ink stained face.

This entry was posted on Friday, June 26, 2009 at Friday, June 26, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

6 comments

"I had an ink stained face"- Haha. Maybe you should change your username then!

"in a great deal of pain. My back was hurting unbearably and the slightest wrong movement caused even more pain."- But seriously, what's wrog with your back? At your age that's relativly unheard of..

"There is something about having ink on my hands that makes me feel more connected to the writing'- I always thought it'd be cool to sent and receive letters. Could be very romantic : D, ..well, more romantic then getting an email or something...the letters are uniform..

June 26, 2009 at 4:20 PM

"Haha. Maybe you should change your username then!" -- Is this an attempt at humor?

"But seriously, what's wrog with your back? At your age that's relativly unheard of.." -- I am not quite sure... I think it might have something to do with carrying a lot of heavy things at a time, or sitting bent over a desk in school every day. I am not sure why that would affect me now though, since it is the summer. I'll stick to the carrying-heavy-things theory, since my back started hurting yesterday, after I walked the length of a shopping street holding a lot of heavy bags as well as my ultra heavy handbag. Or perhaps this happened after I lifted my dog.... Hm, that's a possibility.

I agree about the letters. There is something that is so charming about receiving a thoughtful letter that the writer put time and effort into, as opposed to receiving a quick impersonal email containing incorrect spelling and/or improper grammar.

I love writing letters. I remember when I was in camp (at the age of 12), I used to write letters to my parents and grandmother a few times a week.

I still write letters... I just have no one to send it to. I had the brilliant idea of incorporating letters into my book (between the two main characters mostly), so I am having a lot of fun with those. Writing romantic letters to fictional characters... delightful. Haha.

By the way, I am planning on making a post soon about Edgar Allan Poe and his romantic letters....

June 26, 2009 at 4:43 PM

"Is this an attempt at humor?"- If you don't stop making fun of my jokes I'm going to have to tell your mother! ; P

"Or perhaps this happened after I lifted my dog'- It could be you're putting pressure on the wrong part of your body when you lift.

"Writing romantic letters to fictional characters"- OK, but don't be disapointed when your imaginary friends don't write you back..

June 26, 2009 at 5:02 PM

I definitely did not pick up my dog the way I should have. He made it very difficult for me to lift him the right way though because he lied down on his back, and I had to bend over him in order to pick him up. And he is HEAVY. Well, this won't be my first dog-related injury. I sprained my finger earlier this year because of him...

"OK, but don't be disapointed when your imaginary friends don't write you back.." -- I thought I specified that this was for a book I am writing, in which the characters have occasion to exchange letters?

June 26, 2009 at 5:14 PM

"I thought I specified that this was for a book I am writing, in which the characters have occasion to exchange letters?"- *sigh*, another failed attempt at humor!

(The word verification is "drogl", ..has the letters "dog" in it..)

June 26, 2009 at 5:22 PM

"*sigh*, another failed attempt at humor!" -- Not again...

June 26, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Post a Comment