Introducing Mr. Darcy and Mr. Knightley  

Posted by inkstainedhands in ,

Well, I finally got the rats I've been waiting for, and as expected, they are the most adorable little creatures! I named them Darcy and Knightley, and the three of us have been getting to know each other over the past twenty four hours. At this stage of our acquaintance, I am a bit lost for words, and all I can say is that they are so incredibly sweet and cute. They are quite active when they are awake, so it is difficult to get a decent photo, but here is one of them falling asleep:



And here are the photos from the breeder. The first one is Darcy, who is a Russian blue agouti berkshire dumbo. Knightley, the second one, is a Russian blue agouti hooded dumbo.

They are both friendly and social, although I would say that Darcy is the outgoing one of the two. He always greets me when I walk over to the cage, and Knightley usually joins in. They enjoy climbing (humans), perching on shoulders, giving soft, ticklish rat kisses, and exploring. I actually managed to get a wonderful photo of Darcy and me while he was sitting on my shoulder, curiously looking into the camera.

This entry was posted on Monday, September 14, 2009 at Monday, September 14, 2009 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

12 comments

The only thought going through my head - why? why? why? would anyone get rats voluntarily? But if that's what rocks your boat - enjoy!

September 14, 2009 at 9:35 PM

i echo subwife. also who are they named after?

September 15, 2009 at 12:10 AM

I love how you say that they are "social"! lol

September 15, 2009 at 1:15 AM

SubWife -- They're very misunderstood creatures, you know. In real life, they're quite cute though.

Harry-er -- They're named after Jane Austen characters. Darcy is from Pride and Prejudice and Knightley is from Emma.

BTS -- They really are social, though!

September 15, 2009 at 6:03 PM
Sophie  

Both boys? No little rat babies in your future?

I like #2. I'd cut off that tail though, make 'em look like hamsters.

September 16, 2009 at 4:37 PM

@Sophie ewwww that's sadistic!
Why would you want to make a rat to look like a hamster anyway?

September 16, 2009 at 4:41 PM

You were memed

September 17, 2009 at 1:39 AM
Sophie  

BTS, because I'd like to be in denial about their ratness but the tail gets in the way.

September 17, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Sophie -- Why should you be in denial about their 'ratness'? You should meet them; I think you'll like them once you actually see how friendly they are.

September 17, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Kawaii!!!
They're so cute!!!

They're not "social", they're social! And very intelligent too.

September 25, 2009 at 12:31 AM

I once wrote a post you might like
http://davidonthelake.blogspot.com/2006/12/tale-of-two-critters.html

December 8, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Thanks, David! That is a very interesting post.

December 8, 2009 at 10:52 PM

Post a Comment