Shavuot  

Posted by inkstainedhands in ,

With Shavuot just a couple of hours away, I feel I need to make a post.

Sefirat Ha'Omer is about growth and spiritual development; it is about striving to become more than you were and reaching greater heights. And Shavuot, the culmination of those seven weeks of progress and awareness, is a good time to look back and see how far you have come.

Of course, a Jew should always be striving toward perfection (according to Torah values), and it should not matter so much whether it is Sefirat Ha'Omer, Aseret Yimei Tshuva, Rosh Hashana, or just any common day. But it is easier to work within a frame, when you have the feeling of, "During this time, I should be working on myself. I better do something."

I did not think about it much though until my school's Shabbaton this month. There were many speakers, and a few of them discussed Sefirat Ha'Omer. It is a pity that most of the speeches were on Shabbat, or I would have written them down. But on the whole, when I left the Shabbaton and returned home, I took with me a lot of inspiration and a higher sense of awareness.

Now that it is almost Shavuot, I am looking back on the past couple of weeks (since Shabbaton) and I do see a difference in the way I am living my life and my attitude toward it. I never really expected there to be any change this year, but it is amazing how things work out, and you find yourself improving unexpectedly.

I just want to wish all of you a Chag Sameach and a year full of growth and accomplishment.

This entry was posted on Thursday, May 28, 2009 at Thursday, May 28, 2009 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

5 comments

That's your Shavuot post? Where's the Shavuot menu?!

May 31, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Not everything has to be about food, you know.

May 31, 2009 at 4:24 PM

While that is a novel and quite interesting idea which warrants further deliberation, I consider it to be way too radical.

May 31, 2009 at 4:31 PM

now it sounds like you're in a high school.

June 3, 2009 at 10:03 PM

I am. :]

June 3, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Post a Comment