Antics of Teenage Girls  

Posted by inkstainedhands in , , ,

My finals start officially start tomorrow (unofficially, I have been in finals mode for the past couple of weeks with tests and essays to write), and I doubt I will have time to post in the next week or two, so I thought I would write up a short little post now about something I observed this week.

There is something sad about the last days of school. It is the end of a chapter of your life, something you can never return to. Therefore, it is understandable that some girls get a bit emotional.

However, what I heard this past week was just strange. We were waiting for our next teacher to come into the classroom, and as I was minding my own business, I heard one girl yell out to another girl across the room:

"____, can we please cry in class? It'd be so fun to cry! Let's cry! Please?!"

She fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you view it) did not see the look I was giving her.

Guys who are still in shidduchim -- good luck! Girls can be strange creatures, to be approached with caution.

With all that said, I must admit that I am very glad to be a girl. It means I won't have to put up with one in the future.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, June 3, 2009 at Wednesday, June 03, 2009 and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

10 comments

Don't kid yourself. Men are not much easier to put up with.

June 3, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Do they make PLANS to cry? Don't think so.

June 3, 2009 at 9:43 PM

which school are you in? sounds like touro.

June 3, 2009 at 10:00 PM

I'm a high school student.

This post, by the way, was not meant to reflect on all my classmates. These were just a few individuals, and girls like that can be found in any school.

June 3, 2009 at 10:20 PM

No wonder I have a hard time understanding them, even you cant and you are a girl (unless youre really an imposter posing as a girl).

June 3, 2009 at 10:22 PM

"With all that said, I must admit that I am very glad to be a girl. It means I won't have to put up with one in the future. "

Nice line!!

MIM - yup I do believe ISH is a girl (unless there is s/t you need to tell us? :-P)

June 3, 2009 at 11:22 PM

MIM -- One of the things about being a girl is that I actually DO understand their thinking. I can't stand it and I would not want to put up with someone like that, but at the same time, I get it.

They think that since it's the last day of school, they have to cry so that they can look back on it (in the summer or in future years) and be able to say, "It was sooo sad. I CRIED." Even though the crying was just something they forced, it gives them what to say and talk about later.

I remember when we were in eighth grade, and it was the last day of school before graduation. Someone brough in an onion and a knife to MAKE SURE that everyone would cry. "It's our last day, you HAVE to cry."

So I do understand them, but I think their behavior is ridiculous. If you feel like crying, cry. Don't force yourself to cry so you can parade your tears like a trophy later.

Another thing about 'understanding' is that as a writer, my goal is to understand every character I create, even if I think they are crazy. When you write, you want to make those characters seem real and you want your readers to feel a connection to them no matter how rotten they might be. A sign of a great writer is being able to make the readers sympathize even with the villain of the book. In order to do that, you have to be able to study people and understand how their minds work, and why they work that way. So I do try to understand my fellow girls. :]

And Thinking is well qualified to answer the questions about my gender. :]

June 3, 2009 at 11:51 PM

Now what happened to the good old fashioned setting stuff on fire tradition?
Kids these days, no imagination.

word verification: ousigned
ou signed? A subliminal message from the elders of zion?

June 5, 2009 at 12:34 PM

The whole crying thing has always puzzled me. Granted, women are often reported as being more emotionally sensitive than guys (which I think is true for the most part), but creating a false emotion for the sake of a momento of sorts sounds wrong.

While guys never plan to cry, our bigger issue is resisting the urge to do so, even when appropriate. Who says we always have to be in tough guy mode, acting all gruff and strong-willed, when in fact we may cause greater harm by stiffling a real emotional sentiment?

I think this may be why guys often appear angrier/insensitive when it comes to these things, because we forcibly condition ourselves that real expression of emotion (kal v'chomer fake ones) are not allowed.

December 23, 2009 at 7:13 PM

I cannot remember where I heard this, but apparently women channel anger into tears while men channel sadness into anger.

At least when a man cries he is taken seriously, since people figure that it must be something major, while when a woman cries, it can easily be dismissed as just part of her nature. I am in an all-girls school, and I am used to seeing girls getting overemotional on a daily basis over the most seemingly insignificant things. Sometimes when I find myself becoming too upset or wanting to cry about something that I should not logically be crying about, I think to myself, "Oh G-d, I'm such a girl. This is ridiculous."

December 23, 2009 at 8:53 PM

Post a Comment