A Few of My Favorite Things  

Posted by inkstainedhands in

This is my first meme (seven things I love), so thanks to Jewish Side of Babysitter for tagging me!

Writing out seven things I love is difficult.... I love so many different things and people, and I have so much in my life that I am grateful for, so it is hard to limit it to seven. Since I'm not including people though, let's see how I can pull this off.

  1. I love Judaism, and when I read how people converted into it, I feel so fortunate that I had it so easy. I was born Jewish and did not have to work for it as hard as they did. But what I am trying to work on is becoming a better Jew, learning more about my religion, understanding it better, and growing through it.
  2. This should come as no surprise: I love writing. (Looks like this is one of the things Babysitter and I share.) People sometimes ask me how old I was when I first started writing, but I can never confidently answer that question. I've been writing for as long as I can remember, and at each stage of life, my obsession with it has only intensified. When I was in first grade, I took a few sheets of printing paper, folded them together, stapled them down the middle, and announced to everyone that I was writing a book. I made a cover for it, proudly wrote my name on the front, and felt so accomplished. (Then, seven years later, I had the unforgettable experience of completing an actual book, self-publishing it, and seeing the beautiful result.) Writing is one of the things I am most passionate about. It is an outlet, a release, a means of expression, an art, a lifestyle. It is always in my thoughts as I live life. As I experience something, I create sentences in my head that would adequately express it.
  3. Besides for appreciating the ability to express myself, I love seeing others express themselves, whether it is through art, writing, music, or acting. It is no wonder then that I love literature, I love Broadway, I love music (and was miserable without it). For me, it is a way of connecting to other people through ideas, thoughts, and feelings.
  4. I love animals, and especially my precious dog and turtles. (I will soon be adding two rats to that list!) One of the things I love about animals is that they will never hurt you emotionally. Sure, they might bite or scratch, but you know it's not malicious. They don't have the same tendencies that humans do to viciously stab you in the back and leave emotional scars. All they want is that you should take care of them, give them your time and your love, and they will be grateful. And who doesn't appreciate unconditional love?
  5. I love learning, acquiring more knowledge, and getting a more thorough understanding of the world I live in and of its history.
  6. I love sitting in a Barnes & Noble or a Starbucks and watching people walk by. It's one of the things that inspires me as a writer. You can observe so many different types of people and create characters out of them. It's especially fun when the person is sitting down too and you can observe their behavior over an extended period of time.
  7. The seventh and final thing! I love taking and collecting photographs. (This became easier after my father got our first digital camera and I got the impression that I could take as many pictures as I want without being told I'm wasting film and money. Since then, you have no idea by how much the amount of pictures I took increased.) I love looking through photos, printing them, and making albums. (This might also be one of the things I love about animals -- you have so many opportunities to take pictures! They never say to you, "Oh, no, I don't look good! Don't take pictures of me!")

So that was the "seven things I love" meme. Now I get to tag seven people.... I'm tagging Blob of Something Different, Baal Tshuva Slowly, Subjugated Wife, Frum Skeptic, Dina, Chana (The Curious Jew), and Shlomo.

This entry was posted on Friday, July 31, 2009 at Friday, July 31, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

11 comments

About sitting in Starbucks and watching people - i happened to do that many time in the past 3 weeks and it is interesting. Though i have to mention that this watching does distract me sometimes as i forget that i sit there for the sake of working and not relaxing.

July 31, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Haha... I usually go there with the intention of relaxing. I know people who go to Starbucks to study or to work... I don't think I would ever be able to do that just because, as you said, it is very distracting.

July 31, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Luckily i'll be able to bring my music now, so the party will get under my control. Plus if i am lucky i get the corner seat there next to the working AC outlet (turns out to be a rare thing in Starbucks)...

July 31, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Make sure to post pics and vids of thee ratties. Maybe that will convince wife that they're cute.

August 2, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Aha, and also consider getting a Cacadu...

August 2, 2009 at 4:11 PM

I should get an African country? Well, if it'll help...

August 2, 2009 at 4:13 PM

@Moishe - i was talking about parrots...

August 2, 2009 at 4:25 PM

That would be a cacatu.

August 2, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Hannah: again, thanks for tagging me. I just wrote it and feel kind of accomplised! ..though the writing is extremely patchy..

..now I'll start looking through yours and the others (I didn't want to before because that would mess-up my originality)...

August 2, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Moshe -- Don't worry... as soon as I get those rats, my blog readers will have no choice but to see dozens of pictures of them! I am very excited. :]

Shlomo -- Well, memes aren't exactly about good writing. It's just about getting some facts/thoughts out, and since it's in a list form, you don't have to worry as much about it being 'patchy'.

August 2, 2009 at 11:49 PM

I love observing people too.
I love taking pictures too, and it's funny that you wrote about the change to digital cameras, cause I linked up to it in my post, where my sister was so used to digital cameras she started snapping away on a disposable one.

lol, funny about the animals allowing you to take pictures of them.

August 4, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Post a Comment