Trip to the Vet  

Posted by inkstainedhands in ,

It seems as if I have been taking a lot of trips lately.... Well, the latest one was to the veterinarian with my dog, Coco, for his yearly checkup and scheduled immunizations.


Sitting with Coco in a car for fifteen minutes is no easy feat. You can expect to get trampled, scratched, drooled on, and so on. Perhaps the most inconvenient thing is noticing his hair all over you once you get out of the car; I think I ended up looking as much like a furry dog as the dog himself.

Although he is much better behaved once he is in the office (perhaps because the metal tables and sterile smells are intimidating), you can expect him to somehow leave a trace there too. After getting his ears washed, he made sure to shake them out, so the end result was that there were little dog hairs and liquid flying through the air and covering all those standing near him (namely, my dad and me).

There was a different vet in the office today than usual, and Coco decided to give him a friendly hello by pressing his wet, sticky tongue to the vet's face. The vet exhibited all the signs of an animal lover: he did not object.

The conclusion is that my dog has received all the necessary immunizations, got his ears cleaned, and does not have to show up at the vet's for another year; so that's good.

I was just reviewing my pictures of him from Monday, and in at least half of them, he is sticking his tongue out and licking his nose. Here is one of the rare normal ones.



And just because I think it's funny:


This entry was posted on Sunday, July 26, 2009 at Sunday, July 26, 2009 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

8 comments

Reminds me of last time I took NY for checkup. He peed on the intern, on the bed, peed some more, peed some more. Tried to take away intern's stethoscope. Tried to chew on whatever he could reach. Would not lie still and was either trying to roll off the bed or tear up the paper sheet.

July 27, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Thankfully vets don't have paper sheets, or that would have been a complete disaster, as Coco loves tearing up paper.

Coco did try to pee on the receptionist's desk and on the wastebasket in the waiting room.

July 28, 2009 at 6:51 PM

On the desk?! I hope you mean on the side of the desk and not on the desk.

"Note to self, while fire hydrant shaped wastebaskets look cute in vet's office, dogs may mistake them for fire hydrants."

They should totally put doggy bathrooms by vets though. Fire hydrant and tree shaped.

July 29, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Yes, I do mean on the side of the desk. If he was on the actual desk, he would be too distracted by the cat napping there. They have a cat who is always sleeping on that desk. Her tail was once hanging down, and she had this little pom-pom of fur at the end of her tail, so Coco tried catching it.

July 29, 2009 at 12:36 PM

First off, letting you know that I tagged you Here.

I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but the dog looks like an understanding dog, from the eyes.

so dogs don't have dog seats for the car? what if the car stops short?

July 31, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Oh, I love his eyes. They're very expressive. And I also can't believe you said that. :] I'm assuming this is progress. Next thing you know, you'll be petting a dog.

There are dog seats and little carriers for dogs, but good luck getting Coco into one of those. I just hold onto him myself.

July 31, 2009 at 12:30 PM

yea, it's huge progress, I've never looked at a dog picture before!

Good luck holding on to him then, from the way you described it, it sounds like he doesn't like staying put.

July 31, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Haha. That's an understatement. I believe pugs are among the most hyper dog breeds.

July 31, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Post a Comment