More Upbeat  

Posted by inkstainedhands in , ,

Well, here is another quick post while I am working on the longer ones. I thought I should just update my readers on what is going on.

I was planning to write a very long post on childhood, and by 'very,' I mean longer than any of my previous posts. (Considering the length of some of those, this is saying much.) It was to include some references to both classic and modern literature and some prominent figures from the media, but I did not think my blog would be the best place for it. So while I am still working on the piece, I have yet to decide what I want to do with it. Yesterday, I thought of a new idea for a separate blog post, also revolving around the topic of childhood, but then I thought of finding a larger audience for it. I'll let you know how that goes.

Looking through some of my previous posts, I see I have mentioned some other posts I wanted to make, including one on Edgar Allan Poe and another one about the right to privacy for one who is in the public eye. So look out for those. (This is a reminder for me as well. I am looking forward to writing and posting those... I feel very much in the mood of writing.)

And another update... on my Israel plans!!

My father just paid today for the apartment we are renting there. I believe it is in Maalot Dafna. Is anyone here familiar with that neighborhood? The results of my Google searches have informed me that it is an ultra-Orthodox neighborhood, which makes me a bit apprehensive. I have these visions of being glared at for being dressed like a Flatbush girl. Please dispel these images.

But anyway, there is something about every plan we make that makes me more and more excited, because it is becoming a reality. Hopefully I will start packing, or at least organizing the things I need to pack, later this week. Imagine how much that will excite me... :]

We will be spending the first couple of days in the Golan Heights, then about two weeks in Jerusalem, and the final two or three days in Ashdod. We will be passing through Tzfat and Teveriah, I believe, and I also hope to spend a few hours in Tel Aviv.

So, are there any places in Israel you would recommend I visit? I'd like to make a list of places to visit and things to see, and I would love to hear your suggestions!

This entry was posted on Monday, July 13, 2009 at Monday, July 13, 2009 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

Maalot Dafna: Like Flatbush...or actually more like Boro Park..you'd probably fit in pretty well considering there're mostly Americans there..

Golan: Places like Gamla and Yehudia have less touristy parts if you don't follow the beaten path (not that they're overly "toursity" to start with). There are also other light/"family" hikes.

..I think the "Biblical Village" is around there, I've never been, but it seems like a lot of fun.. Other than that a lot of the archeological villages in the area housed many of the Amoraim (sages mentioned in the Talmud).

Jerusalem: As a history buff I would advise anyone to tour places like the City of David, the Southern Wall, the tunnels, the Burt House, etc (all in and around the old city). Outside of the old city you've always got the Israel Museum and the Tanach Museum just accross from it.. (In regards to chilling, there're obviously no end of hangouts in Jerusalem).

Ashdod: Biking/skating along the coast. Sunbathing/swimming. Nightly concerts (if it's the right week of summer). ..a heck of a lot of Moroccans..

Tiberias: Rebi Meir and the Kineret are obviously the main attractions. It's not far from Meiron.

Tzfat: ...Tzfat!

Hope I helped a bit.

July 14, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Thanks! It did help.

The archaeological villages sound interesting... I learned about the Amoraim in historia, so I would love to check that out.

"..a heck of a lot of Moroccans.." -- Haha... So what do I do with those?

I think most of my Ashdod time will be spent with relatives... maybe we'll take a car and go to one of the nearby towns from there.

Those are just the places where we'll be staying overnight. But during the day, we can go pretty much anywhere in Israel.

July 14, 2009 at 8:07 PM

I found the website for the "biblical village" I think I was talking about: I's called "Cfar Kedem" (near Nazereth). On it's website the videos are, strangely enough, in Russian, something that shouldn't deter you..
http://www.k-k.co.il/watch-video-kfar-kedem.html

In regards to the Amoraim: The truth is just a little south of there (the Galil) is where the Mishna was written Tzipori-Beit Shean-Teveria. The Amoraim centered mainly around the same places, but also in the Golan, mainly around Katzrin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katzrin).

And: What do you do with Moroccans? Hear them in teir shuls..get brachot fom their rabbis..

July 15, 2009 at 12:53 AM

Glares? Better learn to duck quickly. ;-)

word verification: rested

July 15, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Post a Comment