The Unavoidable Seminary Question  

Posted by inkstainedhands in

I just came back from a seminary options evening in my school, where girls from different seminaries spoke to us and described the seminaries they went to -- academics, peer group, and so on.

I never really wanted or planned to go to seminary, so I never gave it a second thought. Seminary was just something the other girls would do -- stressing over whether they would get in to the seminary of their choice, leaving for Israel, coming back completely different. I felt relieved that I would not have to think about this.

But, to make a long story short, I am considering going to a seminary part-time in New York (preferably in Brooklyn, although Manhattan is not completely out of the question). Since I never considered this in the past, however, I don't know where to start. I have a list of some seminaries in New York, but most of them don't have websites and I am having some difficulties getting information on them.

So if any of you have gone to seminaries in Brooklyn, please, please, please leave a comment or send me an email at myinkstainedhands (AT) gmail (DOT) com and tell me about your experience there -- the academics, the students, the atmosphere, and the pros and the cons, or whatever else you thought about it. Also, if you know anyone who went to a NY seminary, if you could help me get in touch with them, it would be much appreciated.

This entry was posted on Monday, October 26, 2009 at Monday, October 26, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

5 comments

Wish I could help you. I went to E"Y ... Hatzlacha on your research though

October 26, 2009 at 11:09 PM

Don't know much about NY seminaries. But from a personal POV - I regret deeply not taking a year or at least a full summer off to go to seminary in Israel.

October 27, 2009 at 1:11 AM

I'll always recommend Drisha. They have a website and they have scholarship programs.

Anyway, who says it's good to be so decided? It's always a good idea to be open to new venues.

October 27, 2009 at 2:23 AM
Sophie  

I'm with Subwife on this one. Going to a seminary in Israel is a whole different experience. You'll have plenty of time to sit in Brooklyn when you settle down. Go try something new and stop being such a homebody!
I look back on the time I spent in Neve as the most fun and inspiring time in my life.
You have to leave your home and your city for a while to experience life in a different place.

October 27, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Thanks, everyone!

I am not taking a year off for seminary in Israel, although I might consider summer courses there sometime in the future -- but not this coming summer.

For now, I am just trying to find a good seminary in New York.

Shlomo -- Thanks! I never heard of that one, actually. I visited their website and I like the sound of it... especially the Arts Fellowship Program for artists, writers, musicians, and performers. I'll have to look into it more.

October 27, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Post a Comment