Where Have I Been?  

Posted by inkstainedhands in , , , , , ,

I see that over a month has passed since I made my last blog post on September 18th, in honor of Rosh Hashana. So where have I been all this time? I could give all kinds of excuses.... My rats hijacked my keyboard, I was too busy to post, I was preoccupied by this thing called real life, etc. All of these excuses have some truth in them, but none of them are THE answer (although Mr. Knightley did just jump onto my computer desk and start trampling on the keyboard).

Speaking of my rats, I have introduced them to a few of my friends, all of whom were delighted to meet them. I got to say, "Told you they were cute," on a few different occasions, so that was nice. Some of my friends who declared that they would never come to my house again if I got rats actually fell in love with the creatures as soon as they met them.

So, what else have I been up to in the past few weeks? School has obviously been keeping me busy, but I also managed to keep myself well occupied during Sukkot. After weeks of doing what my sense of responsibility told me to do, it was nice to relax and do what I wanted to do. I took full advantage of my one and a half weeks of Sukkot vacation by visiting the Frick Collection, going to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and seeing Hamlet on Broadway, among other things. I cannot help but smile every time I think of that week. And for now, I will have to rely on those memories to bring a smile to my face, because it does not look as if I will have any more time for that sort of thing until the end of November, after midterms.

People have been asking me about my writing and how that is going. Well, to tell the truth, it's not really going. I have been more involved in art and drawing the past couple of months. I did write a few quick dialogues in the form of poems, but that was simply for fun after an overdose of Shakespeare. I also finished a few books, some of which I considered blogging about. Perhaps once I have more time, I will do so. I also hope that my writing will pick up its pace in November with NaNoWriMo. I'm still working on one of my novels from 2007, but I would also like to start a new one on a completely different topic, with a Jewish theme for once.

I just wanted to update everyone, because otherwise it looks as if I disappeared for no reason. Hopefully there won't be such a large gap again between this post and the next.

This entry was posted on Sunday, October 25, 2009 at Sunday, October 25, 2009 and is filed under , , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

Welcome back! :-)

October 25, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Welcome back. I'm also doing NaNoWriMo- first time for me. Have you done it before? Any tips?

October 25, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Thanks, SD and Freeda!

Freeda -- This is my third year doing NaNoWriMo. Last year, however, I did not get very far because of midterms, which were right in the middle of November. I wasn't particularly inspired either, so I dropped it after a few days. But my 2007 novel (although it is not yet done) went pretty well.

My advice is to work steadily -- don't suppose you'll have a sudden flash of inspiration at the very end of the month. If you ever get stuck or don't quite know where the novel is going, don't stop. Just keep going. Otherwise, you'll get behind. Also, keep in mind that it's quantity over quality for once, so you want to just keep writing whatever comes to mind, as much as you can, and then in December you can flesh it out and edit it and so on.

Good luck with it!! :]

October 26, 2009 at 6:08 PM

Thanks for the tips...

October 26, 2009 at 9:44 PM

Post a Comment